There are many skills to learn to master Algebra, but we have already made a great start – You :
1. Can recognise and continue a pattern
2. Understand that a pro-numeral (a letter) represents a variable (changing number)
3. Understand that it is mathematical convention to leave out the multiplication sign in expressions and equations involving pro-numerals.
4. Can substitute positive and negative numbers into an equation
5. Can plot points on a cartesian plane
6. Can determine the equation from a table of values
7. Can solve an equation using backtracking
The next step is to be able to solve an equation by doing the same operation to both sides. Try these online activities:
Algebra Balance Scales (a virtual manipulative from Utah State University)
Algebra Balance Scales with negatives (same as above, but with negative numbers)
Equation Buster – from MathsNet
Made with My Cool Signs.Net
Next Wednesday night, 18th August, on eT@lking on the Australia Series from 8-9pm, Melbourne Australia time, our special guest will be Maria Droujkova, USA. Maria is the founder of Math 2.0 interest group and, invites you to participate in the discussion of mathematical communities. During the event, we will look at different community types and discuss their accomplishments and needs. You will hear what founders of Scratch, GeoGebra, Calculation Nation, Cut the Knot, MathPlayground, ViewPoints Research, The Art of Problem Solving and many more math communities consider important tasks in mathematics education, and how they go about accomplishing the tasks. You can use the event to find math communities that will welcome your participation and add to your personal learning network. Maria will also talk about plans and dreams of the Math 2.0 group for the next year, including virtual and face-to-face conferences, the math game development forum, publishing efforts, and spin-off event series. Maria Droujkova is the founder of Math 2.0 interest group and http://www.naturalmath.com and http://www.mathfuture.wikispaces.com.
Please join us. The webinar is free and is online in elluminate. Just copy and paste this url into your browser and enter the room up to 45 mins before the session starts.