This recipe serves 4 people, 2 pancakes each
- 2 cups self raising flour, sifted (250g at 0.32c per gram)
- 2 large eggs, separated (40 cents each)
- 2 cups milk (500ml at 0.25c per ml)
- 2 tsp sugar (8 grams at 0.024c per gram)
- 50g butter, melted plus extra butter or oil for cooking (at 0.88c per gram)
How much do you think it costs to make pancakes at home? How much do you pay at a cafe or McDonalds? When restaurant owners and chefs calculate the cost of their menu they need to take into account the cost of ingredients as well as staff costs, overheads (rent, power, telephone, gas etc) and also make a profit.