YEAR 7 Standards:
- Investigate, interpret and analyse graphs from authentic data
- Identify and investigate issues involving numerical data collected from primary and secondary sources
- Construct and compare a range of data displays including stem-and-leaf plots and dot plots
- Calculate mean, median, mode and range for sets of data. Interpret these statistics in the context of data.
- Describe and interpret data displays using median, mean and range.
Resources for Year 7:
- A misleading graph from Top Drawer Teachers
- Scootle – Graph Investigator
- Scootle – Random or not?
- Increasing sample size video (Vimeo – 4.03 min)
YEAR 8 Standards:
- Data representation and interpretation – Investigate techniques for collecting data, including census, sampling and observation
- Explore the practicalities and implications of obtaining data through sampling using a variety of investigative processes
- Explore the variation of means and proportions of random samples drawn from the same population
- Investigate the effect of individual data values, including outliers, on the mean and median
Resources for Year 8:
Supporting Australian Mathematics Project –