This is an assessment task for Year 7 Maths.
Cup cake recipe (makes 12 small or 6 large cup cakes)
- 1/4 cup butter (60 grams)
- 1/4 cup caster sugar (60 grams)
- 1 egg
- 3 drops vanilla essence
- 3 tablespoons milk (1 tbsp = 20 ml)
- 3/4 cup S.R. flour (115g)
Method: Set the oven at 200 degrees Celcius. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add essence and egg, mixing well. Add flour and milk alternately, one-third at a time. Stir gently and thoroughly. Place mixture in paper patty pans, two-thirds filling each one. Bake at 200 degrees for 1/5 to 1/4 of an hour. Cool in pans, then decorate each cake with icing.
1. Draw up a table and write out the ingredients required for 12 large and 24 large cupcakes.
2. If you want to have equal numbers decorated the same, what different numbers can you use? (What are the factor pairs of 24?)
3. How many minutes is 1/5 of an hour? How many minutes is 1/4 of an hour?
4. If (20ml x 3) of milk is required for 6 large cupcakes, how much of a cup is required for 12 and 24 cupcakes?