Algebra Balance Scales

So far we have looked at the basic rules for algebra in expressions – leaving out the multiplication sign and the ‘1’ in front of a pronumeral, adding and subtracting ‘like terms’ and multiplying and dividing with pronumerals. Next we will look at multiplying and dividing with indices and then using equations.

Maths is Fun has a quick tutorial on how to use exponents with six questions you can try online.

The Algebra Balance Scales are all about doing the same thing to both sides. So if you remove to blocks from one side do the same to the other side.

Algebra Balance Scales with Negatives is a little more difficult – balloons act as negative numbers to counter-act the weights.

When you have spent about 15 minutes on each activity, leave me a comment to let me know what you found easy, what you found difficult and what you learnt from these two interactive learning objects.

5 thoughts on “Algebra Balance Scales

• October 18, 2011 at 9:29 am
    Permalink

great stuff

• October 18, 2011 at 12:31 pm
    Permalink

i liked bothem because they tested what you know about algebra

• October 18, 2011 at 12:32 pm
    Permalink

i learnt that most of the time x=3 and they tought you how algebra works

• October 18, 2011 at 12:49 pm
    Permalink

This game taught me nothing really on algebra, I know how to play the game with ease though now.

• October 18, 2011 at 12:50 pm
    Permalink

I didn’t really learn anything from The Algebra scales because…. i still don’t get Algebra 🙂